Header pic

Header pic

Thursday, October 6, 2011

TRUE CONFESSIONS OF A MOUNTAIN MAMA

www.floydvirginialand.com

Have I mentioned lately that we sell land?  I do confess that's really why I'm here.  I've realized lately that I'm just not that interesting.  I do, however, lead a colorful life, enhanced by a hefty portion of familial nuttiness, Attention Deficit Disorder (which I do consider a gifting, btw) and some kick-butt beautiful surroundings here on top of this mountain.

We started living simply because we really had no other choice.  Both Larry and I are transplants from the northeast:  me by way of Des Moines, IA, Bad Homburg, Germany and Paris, France, but Larry is a Union County, NJ lifer.  We along with the rest the children in our town of Westfield, NJ watched our dads jump on the train to NYC every morning at 5:30 and 7:00AM respectively.  We piled into the car with our Vista Cruiser driving mothers to pick up the hardworking cocktails-on-the-train-slamming dads at the station at 6:30-7:00PM. We did suburbia quite well.  

But we wanted something different for our family.  Not necessarily better, just different.  I went to Roanoke College in Salem, VA back in the fall of 76.  Larry, who had either fallen in love with me or with the Blue Ridge Mountains, visited often until I graduated in 1980.  For a couple of years I moved back home and commuted with my dear old dad into midtown Manhattan.  Larry was working in New Providence, NJ as a prototype machinist and making some good jack for the early 80's.  He, along with his buddy Craig,  actually invented the machine that rolled and packaged the poster of Farrah in the red bathing suit.  Well, somebody had to do it.

But as we started thinking marriage and settling down and all of that grown up kind of stuff, we longed for the mountains.  Larry looked into buying a hardware store in Lexington, VA.  How different our lives would have been if that had panned out.  Instead, he found a small retail business in Salem that needed a new owner.  RISE, Roanoke Independent Sources of Energy.  Pretty cool.  Two transplanted Yankees selling woodstoves and solar panels in 1982.  Did I mention that he had a great big fro and I wore a lot of gauzy dresses?  We were a little late for Woodstock but we rode the fringes.

Fast forward almost 30 years.  We never left.  When we discovered Bent Mountain and the 20 minute no- traffic commute to Roanoke, we were hooked.  People think we live way out of town.  That amuses me.  I grew up 20 miles outside of New York City that took about 2 hours to commute.  I am in town in 20 minutes, about 15 miles away.  You do the math.

So anyway, we have a bit of that dream that we had over 30 years ago to sell to you.  Yes, we sell land.  Beautiful SW Virginia mountain land that has been lovingly protected and thoughtfully divided into large acreage tracts that overlook other big tracts, all the way to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment