Header pic

Header pic

Saturday, October 15, 2011

LADIES WHO LUNCH OR A QUICK COMMUTE NORTH ON THE BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY

Emma's in town.  College sure seems to have more breaks than I remember, back in the day.  We went home at Thanksgiving if we had a ride; and I guess everyone made it home for Christmas.  In those days you could fly Piedmont direct from Roanoke to Newark for 99 bucks and in an hour and a half  you could start out meandering on the Blue Ridge Parkway and end up barreling down  Route 22 in the fast lane, which by the way was every lane.  Hmmm...

Anyway, we are both happy.   The three hour drive from Boone seems to make  us appreciate each other so much more.  Senior year of high school had her searching for independence and me trying to figure out what  that meant for a stay at home mom with her youngest flying the coop.  We're at a real good place, although that makes us miss the heck out of each other.

Ah but I digress.  I've really come to talk to you about lunch.  Funky little big town Roanoke has an abundance of fabulous eateries.   We've got stuff for locavores (haha, spellcheck doesn't know that word yet, I'm cooler than spellcheck!), bagel joints, Indian restaurants and Thai places.  When we first moved here I had to have friends fedex bagels from NJ.  Indian and Thai in 1982?  Not in this town.  But now, Roanoke has evolved into the great foodie city it was always destined to become.  We still don't have Trader Joes or Anthropologie.  But then what would vacation be for?

There is however, a problem of decision for ladies that lunch.  But not for Emma and me.  We are Wasabi sushi freaks.  I first ate sushi in 1982 in NYC.  There were two sushi places in all of New York then.  My dad and I would meet for lunch at the one at about 57th and 3rd?  Since then I've obsessively eaten sushi all over the world...I guess most impressively in Singapore and Hong Kong.  Never made it to Tokyo but at least that's somewhere in the whole Asian neighborhood.

What I'm getting at is this.  I have NEVER EVER NEVER had better sushi than the Wasabi special across from the City Market in downtown Roanoke.  Seriously.  WASABI ROCKS!  I recently brought my Floridian northern transplant mother down to Wasabi.  I had been doing the old "yeah, this sushi is good, but Wasabi is better!" deal on her for years.  She being a stuck-up Yankee food snob, had been like "yeah, whatever."  She was to her surprise converted that fateful day back in the middle of June.

Well, gotta go.  Guess you know where Emma and I are going to be,  say around 12:30?

No comments:

Post a Comment