Header pic

Header pic

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

FLOYD, VA: WORLD RENOWNED "HIPPIE TOWN"

I'm looking for a little blog fodder this morning, keeping in mind that I am unashamedly trying to allure you into packing up your tent and heading to our neck of the woods in SW VA.  I may be folksy or sometimes even a bit too familial but you should realize that my main objective is to entice you with my words and to sell you a little bit of heaven here in Floyd, Virginia. You can readily get that done at www.floydvirginialand.com.  Our own little family business.  

So, this morning as I am facing a bit of writer's block, I cheated and googled Floyd, VA.  And then just for giggles, I added the word "hippie" to the mix. Do you know that there were 1,400,000 google results?  HA!  So for fun, I'll throw out a few of reasons that Floyd has been designated one of the friendliest places in the country to foster your inner hippie.

1)  As of this writing there are six Floyd County listings on the Fellowship for Intentional Community listing page.  That translates to at least six communes in a county with a population of 15,279.

2)  Organic farms and farm stores abound in Floyd County and include Seven Springs,  Waterbear Mountain Farm, Riverstone Farm, Sweet Providence,  Full Circle Farm, Good Food Good People,  Harvest Moon Market and a whole bunch of other yummy locavore and eco-friendly farm type places.  Restaurants that serve organic and local fare include Mickey G's Bistro, Oddfellas Cantina, Natasha's Market Cafe, The Pine Tavern Restaurant, The Blue Ridge Cafe and Chateau Morrisette Winery.  There is some good eating in that one stop-light town.  And, it's next to impossible to get lost.

3)  FloydFest.  Our own little family friendly music Festival featuring roots and progressive music from around the world.  With some killer performers on the 2012 lineup.  www.floydfest.com.   Need I say more?

Well, I'm getting a little hungry right about now.  Funny how everything quickly turns around to the yumminess of the regional food.  Wonder if Mickey G's is open for lunch on the 4th of July?

No comments:

Post a Comment